Fire Kills Campaigns
TICK. TOCK. TEST your smoke alarm. Before it's too late.
Smoke, the silent killer, is responsible for over half of all deaths in accidental fires in the home.
Last year over half the 213 fire deaths in the home were caused by smoke inhalation. Working smoke alarms can give people the wake-up call they need to escape – because smoke will not, it will leave you for dead.
Shockingly, in the majority of domestic fires with fatalities, smoke alarms were either absent or did not go off – and a common cause was missing or flat batteries. That is why the Fire Kills campaign, run in partnership with the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service, is asking people to make an online pledge to test their smoke alarms this clock change weekend (25-26 October). A simple push of the test button and you will test both the power supply and the detection mechanism.
In March 2014, nearly one in seven people tested their smoke alarms when they changed their clocks to British Summer Time. This autumn, the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service is determined that even more people will keep their loved ones safer from fire by testing their smoke alarms. Everyone can join in and pledge to Tick Tock Test.
Pledgers will be able to sign up on the Fire Kills Facebook page or click on special Fire Kills ‘Tick Tock Test’ adverts when they see them online and on their mobile phones.
Over half the people who died in fires in the home last year were 65 years old or over. So as well as testing their own alarms, Fire Kills is urging householders to test for people who might need help testing theirs. The few seconds it takes to test could provide a few valuable minutes for loved ones to escape safely.
Fire Minister Penny Mordaunt said;
“The simple act of pressing a button and testing the smoke alarms in your home could be the difference between life and death. On clock change weekend, when you turn back the clocks in your home I urge everyone to Tick Tock Test their smoke alarms too. It takes very little extra time and could well be a life saver.
“At the last clock change nearly 1 in 7 people reached for the test button and I hope that this October many more do the same, not just in their own homes but in the homes of those they know and love who might find it difficult to test for themselves.
“I want to see thousands of responsible householders pledging to test – and then doing it over the weekend of 25-26 October. Let’s save more lives”. Julian Fountaine, Community Risk Manager said:
“Smoke alarms are a well-proven life saving tool, but they are no use if they are not working. You are at least four times more likely to die in a fire if you don’t have a working smoke alarm, so taking the time to test the smoke alarms in your home could be a truly life saving decision.”
“The clock change weekend can act as a great reminder to test your smoke alarms – so over the weekend of 25-26 October why not test yours when you change the clocks.”
The new Fire Kills campaign focuses on the deadly effects of smoke –engulfing innocent victims as they sleep. Many people believe smoke will wake them up if fire breaks out – but it won’t, it will leave them for dead. A working smoke alarm is the most effective way to alert you to the danger. The campaign features radio adverts voiced by actor Robbie Gee describing how smoke creeps around and engulfs you. The press and online adverts feature people asleep at home being overcome by smoke.
The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service pledges its support for Gas Safety Week
As part of the Fire Kills campaign, The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service has pledged its support for Gas Safety Week (15-21 September), and will be helping to raise awareness of gas safety issues.
This fourth annual Gas Safety Week will see the whole industry coming together to bring gas safety to the forefront of people’s minds. Dangerous gas work can kill, so it is vital that gas appliances are safety checked at least once a year. If left unchecked, poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. In the last year alone, 343 people were injured and 10 people died as a result of gas related incidents.
People can sign up to a free reminder service at www.StayGasSafe.co.uk (website), and use the interactive gas map to see how many unsafe gas appliances are lurking in an area.
Russell Krämer, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said: “Every year, far too many people suffer from preventable gas related accidents, such as gas leaks, explosions, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s great therefore, that the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service, as part of the Fire Kills campaign, has pledged its support and is raising awareness of gas safety issues, helping to let the 23 million gas consumers in the UK know about the simple checks they can make to stay safe.”
Follow these simple checks to stay gas safe.
- Always use a Gas Safe registered engineer when having gas work carried out in your home. You can find a registered engineer in your area by calling Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 or visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk (website)
- Get your gas appliances safety checked at least once a year and serviced in line with the manufacturer’s instructions. This includes your gas boiler, gas cooker and gas fire. Sign up at www.staygassafe.co.uk (website) for a free reminder service.
- Check the front and back of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card, making sure they are qualified to do the specific type of gas work you require.
- Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm which will alert you if dangerous levels are present in your home.
- Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctly, such as lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
For more information or to find Gas Safe registered engineer visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk (website) or call 0800 408 5500.
Chimney Fire Safety
Making a Clean Sweep of Safety
With summer drawing to a close, Chimney Fire Safety Week provides a timely reminder to make sure that your chimney is ready for the winter months ahead. As part of the national Fire Kills campaign, the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service are urging householders to ensure their chimney is safe and to have their chimney swept by a registered chimney sweep.
Open fires not only warm up a home, but also create a unique relaxing ambience. With the numbers of people using open fires growing, the Fire Kills campaign has provided some top tips for safer chimneys.
Always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers:
Julian Fountaine, Prevention Manager explains: “With the colder, winter months looming, people will begin to start using open fires and their chimneys again. In order to keep you and your family safe from fire, you need to take necessary steps such as ensuring your chimney is swept regularly, depending upon what fuel you burn and I would urge all householders to have a working smoke alarm in their home.”
At least once a year
Up to four times a year
Twice a year
Once a year
Once a year
Julian Fountaine adds: “Latest statistics show that there are approximately 7,000 chimney fires a year in England, but most chimney fires are preventable. “All chimneys and flue-ways should be cleaned and checked during the summer months to ensure they’re free from debris and in full working order before the heating season. A blocked or defective chimney can cause both chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisonings so it’s very important to employ a professional qualified Chimney Sweep.”
To find a certified Chimney Sweep, or for more information on chimney fire safety, please visit:
- The National Association of Chimney Sweeps website, please click here
- The Institute of Chimney Sweeps website, please click here
On the first of every month, test your smoke alarms
Last year over 200 people died in fires in the home. You are more likely to die in a fire in the home if there is no working smoke alarm. So on the 1st of every month, test your smoke alarms and tick it off your 'to do' list. It takes no time at all and gives you and your family a better chance of surviving a fire.
First of the month - Time to Test.
For more information on fire safety, please visit the following social media sites:
Or follow Fire Kills on twitter.com/fire_kills
Watch the 'Don't drink and fry' campaign on Youtube, please click here
Watch the 'Hot Date' campaign on Youtube, please click here