The Participation Team is a service provided by the Isle of Wight Council to support all young people post-16 to participate in education, training and employment. It delivers the following:
- Developing and co-ordinating engagement programmes to support young people to participate in education, training and employment. Current programmes co-ordinated by the team include RON (Real Opportunities Now), Pre-Apprenticeships and Young Volunteers
- Supporting Island businesses. The team supports the Isle of Wight Council apprenticeship programmes and subsidies, and offers a free service for employers to advertise vacancies to young people through it’s weekly bulletin – Education, Employment and Training Opportunities Weekly
- Working with the local community. The team provides a full-time drop-in service at the Choices Centre for post-16 young people and their parents/carers, with qualified Participation Advisers providing advice and guidance on local education, employment and training opportunities
- Working with young people who are not in education, training or employment. All post-16 young people who are not currently participating in education, training or employment are provided with a dedicated Participation Adviser to work with them until they are settled into a positive destination
- Working with vulnerable young people. More intensive personal support is provided for young people with low qualifications, looked after children, young offenders and young people with learning difficulties and/or disabilities
- Increasing participation. The team provides a range of resources to support this aim. They include a Facebook page, Website, weekly Vacancy Bulletin, Choices booklet, annual survey of school leaver’s first destinations, a web-based tool to support schools to identify students at risk of not participating, and an annual conference
All young people and their parents/carers are welcome to make use of the resources in the Choices Centre including supported use of a public telephone and computer to make applications to education, jobs, and apprenticeships, construct CV’s, and check access to benefits.
If you are not in full-time education or training the Participation Team will allocate you a dedicated Participation Adviser who you can keep in touch with by phone, e-mail or by visiting the Choices Centre, and help may also be provided with travel tokens to enable you to access the Choices Centre and any opportunities you may be applying for. The team makes referrals to a wide range of training providers, employers and other agencies in order to help young people achieve their goals – whatever they may be!
Choices – helping all young people participate