Business Rates

About Business Rates & Freedom of Information Requests

Non-Domestic Rates, or business rates is a local tax that is paid by the occupiers of all non-domestic/business property, in the same way that council tax is a tax on domestic property.  Business rates are charged on most business properties such as shops, offices, pubs, warehouses and factories.  However, the property doesn't have to be used for a business - if it is used for purposes which are not domestic it is likely to be rateable.

Business rates is collected by local authorities and is the way that those who occupy non-domestic property contribute towards the cost of local services. The money, together with revenue from council tax payers, revenue support grant provided by the Government and certain other sums, is used to pay for the services provided by Isle of Wight Council and other local authorities in your area.

Under the business rates retention arrangements introduced from 1 April 2013, authorities keep a proportion of the business rates paid locally.  

A company or a person who occupies all or part of a non-domestic property is liable to pay Business Rates on this property.

All Non Domestic Rated properties have a rateable value which is assessed by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), which is an agency of H.M. Revenue and Customs.  A property's rateable value is an assessment of the annual rent the property would rent for if it were available to let on the open market at a fixed valuation date.  Until 31 Mar 2017, the rateable values will be based on a valuation date of 1 April 2008.  From 1 April 2017, the rateable values will be based on the valuation date of 1 April 2015.  The Rateable Value of your property is shown on the front of your bill. 

The council uses the rateable value provided by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to work out how much you pay.  It is calculated by multiplying the rateable value of the property by the national non-domestic multiplier.   You can check your rateable value and compare it with others on the Valuation Office Agency website. If you think your rateable value is incorrect, you can find and view your property details by visiting the GOV.UK website by clicking here.

Waste Collection

Business rates does not include commercial waste services and you should contact the Council's Commercial waste services to arrange this. For further information click here.

By law, holiday lets and self-catering accommodation need to pay for a commercial waste collection service.

Under the Environmental Protection Act (1990), all businesses (including those operating from home), have a legal responsibility to safely contain and dispose of any waste produced as a result of their business. This legal responsibility extends to holiday let properties which are classified as commercial waste producers under the Controlled Waste Regulations (2012). The legislation says that these premises are businesses and should pay for a commercial waste service, including collection and disposal charges.

This definition applies regardless of whether the premises are liable for business rates or council tax.


All rateable values are generally reassessed every 5 years at a general revaluation to ensure bills paid by any one ratepayer reflect changes over time in the value of their property relative to others. The most recent revaluation in England and Wales was 1st April 2010. 

For more information on the 2017 Revaluation rateable values, and business rates, please click here. You can also estimate your business rates bill, including any small business rate relief the council may apply.

At revaluation, the multipliers are revised so that the overall national business rates bill only changes in line with inflation.

Change in Circumstances

Your Business or Premises Change

You must inform us when:

  • You move or make changes to your premises.
  • The nature of your business changes.

You must report any changes to us to make sure you are paying the right amount and don’t get a backdated increase in your bill.

If your property is due for a refit/refurbishment, please contact us prior to the work so that an inspection can be carried out.  If your property becomes empty please contact us immediately as exemptions will not be granted retrospectively. You can inform us about these changes by using the 'Send a Message to this Service' form by clicking here.

Moving Premises/Change of Address

 You need to inform us when:

  • You move into a new business premises.
  • You move out of a business premises.
  • Any other change in circumstances.

This is to make sure we are billing you for the correct amount of Business Rates.

We will need the following information from you:

  • the new address of the business;
  • the date you purchased or leased the property;
  • the date you are moving into the property;
  • the name and address of your landlord if you are leasing the property;
  • the name of the business and to whom the bill should be addressed.

You can inform us about these changes by using the 'Send a Message to this Service' form by clicking here, or by completing the online 'Report a Change of Address' form which can be found in the 'Do it Online' tab above. 

Working from Home

If you work at or from home, you should be aware that the accommodation within your home (such as an office/workshop etc) may be liable to business rates whilst the remainder of the property will continue to be liable to council tax (although an alteration may be made to its banding).

There are many considerations that must be made in deciding whether a room in a house used as an office/workshop should be liable to business rates and each case is considered on its own merits. The Valuation Office Agency will consider the effect of the extent and frequency of the non-domestic use of the room and any modifications made to the property to accommodate that use.

Each case is considered on its own merits, and normally a member of staff from the Valuation Office will visit the property to check the facts before an assessment is made for non-domestic rates.

Freedom of Information 

The Isle of Wight Council receives a number of requests of a similar nature for information which relates to Business Rates.  To address these requests we are publishing specific information on:

  • Accounts in Credit.
  • Credits Written On.
  • Full list of non-domestic properties within Isle of Wight including, Rateable Value, current reliefs, empty property relief/exemption.
  • New account liabilities created.

We will not provide individual responses to requests during the year for similar information but we will direct requests to our published list of reports held on this website.

The council does refund credits on a weekly basis to prevent the build-up of monies owed to business rate payers.  Credits can be a result of changes made on the Rateable Value of a property, business rate overpayments, amendments to the start and end dates to accounts etc.  If you paid rates to the Isle of Wight Council and believe you may have left a credit account, please contact us.  When applying for a refund, you will need to provide documents showing that you were or are the ratepayer, or that you have permission from the ratepayer to act on their behalf.

Data Limitations

  • Limited companies, Government Bodies, Local Authorities and Public Organisations are the only details we are able to provide and not individuals (sole traders, partnerships etc.)  Data Protection prevents the publication of individual names.
  • The ratepayer is the person liable to pay the charge.  In many cases this is a leaseholder and not an owner.  It is not possible to identify the owners from our records.
  • Account references are not included as these are personal to the account and are used as verification to ensure that a ratepayer is actually the account holder when they contact the council.

Accounts in Credit

A list of accounts in Credit are a snap-shot as at the date of production please click here to view the accounts (PDF, 43KB, 3 pages).

Accounts are being updated daily and there may be accounts with corresponding debits to which the credit could be transferred.

Credits at 31 March at each financial year are automatically offset against the new financial year on 31 March.

Credits Written On

A list of Credits Written On are a snap-shot as at the date of production. It is not possible to supply the period/financial year to which the write on relates.

  • To access this information, please click here (PDF, 48KB, 3 pages).


New Accounts Raised in October 2017

Please note: A list of these accounts are a snap-shot as at the date of production. The Isle of Wight Council cannot vouch for the ongoing accuracy of the data as accounts are being updated daily.

  • To access this information, please click here to view the details. (PDF, 37KB, 1 page).


Full List of Non Domestic Properties

This is a listing of all properties regardless of rateable value, please click here to view the information (PDF, 1090KB, 119 pages).  Information is redacted where the liable party is in the name of individuals/sole traders. Correspondence address and telephone numbers are not provided. 

This information is available from Companies House or the telephone directory.