About the Councillors
The Isle of Wight Council was created in 1995 as a unitary or all-purpose authority, responsible for virtually all local government activities on the Island. It replaced the former Isle of Wight County Council and the two borough councils of Medina and South Wight. In addition to the Isle of Wight Council there are 33 town and parish councils, which cover the whole Island. These look after a variety of local issues such as some recreation grounds, some amenity grass cutting and many operate other facilities in their areas.
The Isle of Wight Council has 40 elected councillors. The current political make-up is detailed below:
- 15 The Island Independents;
- 14 IW Conservative Group;
- 5 Individual Members Group;
- 2 Labour Group;
- 2 UKIP Group;
- 1 Liberal Democrat;
- 1 Vacancy
To find out more about each councillor, view our Who's Who guide (PDF, 491.92KB, 1 page) or individual member pages are available by name or by region . The full Council normally meets in the months of May, June, July, September, October, November, January, February and April in the Council Chamber at County Hall, Newport.
There are also a number of other panels, boards, partnerships and groups on which councillors are represented. In addition councillors serve on numerous outside bodies, including the Hampshire Police Authority (based in Winchester) which is responsible for the policing of both Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. At the annual meeting of the Council (usually in May in each year) a number of appointments are made to various offices.
At the Council meeting on 25 May 2016 Councillor Charles Chapman was elected as Chairman of the Isle of Wight Council and Councillor Lora Peacey-Wilcox was elected Vice Chairman.
Other members of the Executive are:
- Leader and Executive Member for Strategic and Community Partnerships, and Public Protection: Cllr Dave Stewart.
- Deputy Leader and Executive Member for Corporate Resources: Cllr Stuart Hutchinson.
- Executive Member for Children's Services: Cllr Chris Whitehouse.
- Executive Member for Tourism and Business Development (including Public Realm): Cllr Wayne Whittle.
- Executive Member for Transport and Infrastructure (including Car Parking): Cllr Ian Ward.
- Executive Member for Adult Social Care and Public Health: Cllr Richard Priest.
- Executive Member for Major Contracts Management: Cllr Jon Gilbey.
- Executive Member for Regeneration: Cllr Julie Jones-Evans.
- Executive Member for Planning, Housing and Homelessness: Cllr Daryll Pitcher.
Other appointments are:
- Appeals Committee - Chairman: Cllr Roger Whitby-Smith.
- Audit Committee - Chairman: Cllr Reg Barry.
- Children's Committee - Chairman: Cllr Conrad Gauntlett.
- Economy and Tourism Select Committee - Chairman: Cllr Wayne Whittle.
- Environment and Transport Select Committee - Chairman: Cllr Jon Gilbey.
- Employment Committee - Chair: Cllr Geoff Lumley.
- Health and Wellbeing Board - Chairman: Richard Priest.
- Health and Adult Social Care Scrutiny Sub Committee - Chairman: Cllr Gordon Kendall.
- IW Pension Fund Committee - Chairman: Cllr Ivor Warlow.
- Licensing Committee - Chairman: Cllr Julie Jones-Evans.
- Planning Committee - Chairman: Cllr Bob Blezzard. Vice Chairman: Cllr Richard Hollis.
- Scrutiny Committee – Chairman: Cllr Paul Fuller. Vice Chairman: Vacant.