Housing Benefit

About Housing Benefit and to Apply

Housing Benefit is a means tested benefit designed to help you pay towards your rent liability for the property you live in, if you are on a low income. 

The amount of benefit due to you is worked out by looking at how much income you and your partner (if applicable) have coming in, your personal circumstances, how much rent you have to pay and the amount of savings you have.

If you are renting privately, the maximum amount of Housing Benefit you are entitled to will be determined by the Local Housing Allowance rate (LHA).  For more information on LHA, please click here.

For those renting from a Housing Association, your Housing Benefit will usually be calculated based on your full rental liability, less any ineligible charges included in the rent, such as water rates, food, etc. People of working age and who are deemed to be over-accommodated, may have the maximum amount of Housing Benefit restricted due to rules on under occupancy.  For more information, please click here.

If you have more than £16,000 in savings we cannot usually pay you any Housing Benefit.  Different rules may apply if you are in receipt of Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.

The benefit regulations are set by Central Government and the Council must administer the scheme within the legislation.  

You can also view your basic Housing Benefit entitlement details via the Isle of Wight Citizens Access Portal by clicking here.

To apply for Housing Benefit and/or Local Council Tax Support please click here.

We are authorised to accept Housing Benefit claims that have been completed electronically through the use of this approved electronic form. You can view this signed directive by clicking here (PDF, 193.46 KB, 2 Pages)

Reporting Benefit Fraud

The Department of Works and Pension (DWP) are responsible for investigation of Housing Benefit Fraud together with Social Security Benefits.

To make sure the money goes to those who need it please contact the DWP if you know of anyone who is claiming benefit to which they are not entitled.  This could be a person claiming in a name you know to be false, in more than one name or from more than one address.  They also need to know if someone is claiming Income Support, or Job Seekers Allowance and working full-time.  Further information on how to report benefit fraud can be found on the Gov.uk website by clicking here.

You can also contact the DWP on their National Benefit Fraud Hotline 0800 854 440 or by post to NBFH, PO Box 224, PR1 1GP.

For more information on relevant information which may affect you please select from the links below:

  • Significant Changes to Private Tenants Under the Age of 35 click here (PDF, 89KB, 2 pages).
  • Evidence We Need To See click here (PDF, 172KB, 6 pages).
  • Leaflet - Important Information about Housing and Local Council Tax Support click here (PDF, 220.29KB, 4 pages).
  • Leaflet - Help with Rent and Council Tax for Pensioners click here (PDF, 249.83KB, 8 pages).
  • Leaflet - A Guide for Students click here (PDF, 230.14KB, 4 pages).
  • Leaflet - Help with rent and council tax for people of working age click here (PDF, 237 KB, 9 pages).
  • Leaflet - A guide to Local Housing Allowance click here (PDF, 180KB, 4 pages).