Adult Social Care - Paying for Care

Care at Home

If you need help to live independently in your own home you may be able to receive care and support from the council.  The council will discuss with you the most suitable type of care.

Social care services which can be provided at home include home care, a direct payment, day care, lifeline alarm and Telecare.

The council charges for most social care services under the charging policy for non-residential care services.  The council uses this policy to work out how much a person can afford to pay.

A person is not required to pay more than they can afford.  The amount you pay depends on your financial circumstances.  A visiting financial assessment officer will contact you to complete a financial statement of circumstances and uses this information to work out how much you need to pay.  We have also developed an online financial statement which is available via the 'Do it online' tab above.

For more information, please click here (PDF, 200KB, 20 pages).

Please note: If your capital assets are more that £23,250 (April 2016), you will be liable to pay the full cost of your care until they reduce to this level.  For more information, please go to the Funding Your Own Care tab above.

For independent information, help and advice about paying for your care,  please go to the Independent Financial Advice tab above.