Adult Social Care - Paying for Care

Residential Care

If you need to go into a residential care or nursing home, the council can discuss with you the most suitable type of care and help you to choose a place in a home.

If your capital assets are less than £23,250 (April 2016), you may qualify for financial help to pay the care home fees.

If you do qualify for financial help towards the cost of the care home fees, you will still need to pay a contribution towards the care home fees.

The council charges for residential and nursing care services under the charging policy for residential and nursing care services.  The council uses this policy to work out how much a person can afford to pay.

A person is not required to pay more than they can afford. The amount you pay depends on your financial circumstances.  A visiting financial assessment officer will contact you to complete a financial statement of circumstances and use this information to work out how much you need to pay.

For more information, please click here (PDF, 200KB, 20 pages).

Please note: If your capital assets are more that £23,250 (April 2016), you will be liable to pay the full cost of the care home fees until they reduce to this level. For more information please go to the Funding Your Own Care tab above.

Deferred Payment Scheme

If you own your own property (or a share in a property) and you need permanent residential or nursing care, you may be eligible to apply to join the Deferred Payment Scheme.  For more information about the scheme please click here (PDF, 181KB, 7 pages)

For independent information, help and advice, please go to the Independent Financial Advice tab above.