Registration of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships

Civil Marriages and Civil Partnerships

Booking Your Civil Marriage or Civil Partnership

You may marry or form a civil partnership in any Register Office or Approved Premises of your choice in England or Wales.  However, before you can do this each of you must give a notice of your intention to marry or form a civil partnership, in person, in the registration district in which you live.  

For details of the Approved Premises on the Isle of Wight, please click here (PDF, 377.83KB, 2 pages).

Giving Notice of Your Intention Civil Marriage or Civil Partnership

Please Note: If you are planning to be married in the Church of England, you should speak to your parish priest, who will usually arrange for banns to be read.

For any other ceremony, whether Register Office, licensed venue or religious ceremony in a church or building other than the established church (Church of England ), you will need to give a Notice of Marriage/Civil Partnership at your local Register Office.  You will need to make an appointment.  Our contact information can be found in the 'Contact' tab above.

Notice can be given up to 12 months in advance of the ceremony.

The notice is a legal document which must be given in person by both the Bride/Groom/Civil Partner.  A friend or relative cannot do this for you regardless of your circumstances.

You must both have lived continuously in any one district of England or Wales for the eight days immediately before the date you give notice of your marriage/civil partnership.  It does not matter if either of you move to a different address after the notice has been given.  If you both live in the same district you should attend together to give your notices of marriage.

Once you have both given notice you must wait at least 28 clear days before the marriage/civil partnership can take place.  If you are getting married in another registration district you can collect your authority for marriage from the Isle of Wight Register Office as soon as the waiting period is over.

For a civil partnership in another registration district there is no requirement to collect any paperwork.

The 'authority for marriage' or 'civil partnership schedule' is the legal document which allows your ceremony to take place, and it is valid for 12 months from the date that you gave the notice of marriage/civil partnership.

A fee is charged for giving a Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership - this is currently £35.00 per person (April 2012).

If you have any difficulties giving your notices please contact us as soon as possible.   Our contact information can be found in the 'Contact' tab above.

Documents You Need to Show Us

When you give your notice of marriage or civil partnership you will need to show the Superintendent Registrar certain documents these are:

  • Identification - current passport or two other forms of identification, eg. full birth certificate, photocard driving licence, DWP letter or HMRC letter.
  • If previously married, or entered into a civil partnership, there needs to be evidence to show how the last marriage or civil partnership ended - decree absolute, dissolution document or death certificate.
  • If known by any other name, document to support the change - Deed Poll or statutory declaration.
  • Evidence of address, dated within last three months - bank statement or utility bill.
  • Consent form - if either of you is under 18 you will need a consent form signed by the person who is responsible for you.

Please note: Your Marriage or Civil Partnership cannot go ahead unless the legal formalities have been completed.

Provisional Bookings

At the Isle of Wight Register Office we are happy to take a provisional booking up to two years in advance.  This allows you to be able to make your other arrangements in plenty of time.

This can be done either in person or over the telephone, but only by the Bride/Groom/Civil Partner.  We are unable to take bookings from friends or relatives unless the Bride/Groom/Civil Partner are overseas.

If your ceremony is within twelve months from the date of your booking, you will be asked to arrange to give your notices of marriage/civil partnership within four weeks of the booking date.

If your ceremony is more than twelve months from the date of your booking, the registrar will advise you as to when and where you should give your notices of marriage/civil partnership.

A non-refundable booking fee is charged when you make your provisional booking.

If you have any difficulties giving your notices please contact us as soon as possible.  Our contact information can be found in the 'Contact' tab above.

Approved Premises

Since the introduction of the Marriage Act 1994, the Isle of Wight approved a number of licensed premises, covering a unique variety of hotels and historic buildings.  Once you have provisionally booked with the venue of your choice, you should contact the Isle of Wight Register Office.  You will need to confirm that registration staff will be able to attend on your chosen date and discuss a time for the ceremony.

If you choose an approved premise elsewhere in England or Wales you should contact the Superintendent Registrar of the district where it is located to confirm availability.

A locally set fee is payable for the registration staff to attend your marriage/civil partnership.  This fee is in addition to any charged by the venue or those paid for the notices of marriage/civil partnership.  Full details of these can be obtained from the Register Office. Ceremonies on No Man's Fort take two appointment slots so you will be charged a double fee for us to attend your ceremony.

Please note: Marriages and Civil Partnerships cannot take place ‘outside’ or in unlicensed premises. To view our Ceremonies Guide, please click here.

Isle of Wight Register Office

The Isle of Wight Register Office is based at Seaclose Offices, Fairlee Road, Newport. The room available for Civil Ceremonies at Seaclose, holds a maximum of sixteen guests (this will be changing to twelve guests from 2018 following refurbishment).  The exterior of the building and the surrounding area provides an ideal setting for wedding photographs.

There is plenty of parking available at Seaclose Park, but it is run on a Pay and Display system.  Please make sure that you have enough change for the meter.

Please bring your favourite CD to put a personal stamp on the occasion, as long as it has no religious content.

Conversion of Civil Partnership to Marriage

There is now provision for couples to convert civil partnerships to marriage if they choose to do so.  Please contact the Register Office for more information.  Our contact information can be found in the 'Contact' tab above. 

Cancellation Policy

In the event that you need to cancel a ceremony, you will be required to notify us in writing.  

If you cancel:

  • More than eight weeks before the ceremony date, you will receive a full refund (excluding non-refundable booking fee and notice fees).
  • Between four and eight weeks before the ceremony date, you will receive a 50% refund (excluding non-refundable booking fee and notice fees).
  • Less than four weeks before the ceremony date (or failure to cancel), there will be no refund.