Planning Development

Permitted Development


Some types of development do not require specific Planning Permission. This is referred to as Permitted Development (as specified by the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995).

The most common examples of Permitted Development are small extensions to existing dwellings, garden sheds, greenhouses, fences and walls of a specified maximum height.

Guidance on rules that relate to permitted development are provided on the Planning Portal website, to view this guidance please click here

For further information on whether you will need planning permission, please read the Permitted development for householders - technical guidance and information provided by the Planning Portal.   However, if you are in any doubt please do not hesitate to contact the Planning Department for advice and guidance using the 'Contact Information Tab'.


Whether development requires specific Planning Permission or otherwise, often depends on the size, position and height of the proposed building and other works. In the case of an existing dwelling, it is important to consider if the property has been previously extended and by how much.

The considerations for assessing whether development is permitted are now quite complex and before proceeding to implement any proposals it is advisable to contact the ‘Customer Information Team’ at the Planning Office Reception, our details can be found in the 'Contact Information' tab.

If you would like to formally clarify whether your proposal is permitted you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for a Proposed Use or Development online via the Planning Portal website or visit our offices to obtain a copy of the application form.

Permitted Development Rights Updates:

The government has announced plans to amend the Permitted Developments rights, this is referenced in the following Statutory Instrument (2013 No.1101)

Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (England) Order 2013 and comes into force on the 30th May 2013.  

This amends the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995(b).

The amendments will have an impact on various types of development including householder extensions and certain office and business extensions including changes of use. 

Householder Developments: Article 4 amends Part 1 of Schedule2 to the 1995 Order to allow larger home extensions to be built until the 30 May 2016.  This temporary permitted development right is subject to a new procedure.  Before beginning the development the person relying on the right must notify the local planning authority, click here for form. The authority will notify neighbouring properties. If neighbours object to the proposal the authority must consider whether the extension should be approved. The development must not start until the authority has notified the person of their decision.

The development must be completed by the 30 May 2016 and in accordance with the submitted information, the local planning authority must also be notified when the development is completed.

If any proposed development is being considered it is advisable to always seek the advice and guidance from the Local Planning Authority in the first instance.