Green Garden Waste and Christmas Tree Collection
Christmas tree recycling
This festive season the Isle of Wight Council, in Partnership with Amey (our waste contractor) are offering free kerbside collections of natural Christmas trees for the second year running.
This service will be available between 2 January and 3 February 2017 and any trees that are collected will be taken by our waste contractor Amey for composting.
- Only natural trees can be collected and Christmas trees must be clear of decorations and free of pots/planters prior to being set out for collection the conditions for our free Christmas tree collection service are outlined below.
Terms and Conditions:
- Artificial Christmas trees we will not be collected as part of this service because they cannot be recycled.
- Only natural Christmas trees will be picked up on the same day as your recycling waste.
- This service needs to be booked a minimum of three working days in advance of your normal recycling waste collection day.
- We can only collect trees that are seven foot or under, if you have a larger tree, simply cut it down and book a collection for two trees. No more than two trees can be booked per collection.
- All decorations will need to be removed from the tree.
- The tree will need to be removed from its pot or stand prior to collection.
- On the day of collection, please place your tree alongside your recycling waste and food caddy.
To book your Christmas Tree Collection online please use the online form by clicking here. The collection of natural Christmas trees will start on the 2 January and end on the 3 February 2017
You can check when you’re due to get a recycling collection by simply clicking here, entering your postcode and selecting your address. You can then click 'view the calendar' to see your waste collection calendar online and there’s also an option to print it.
Disposing of an artificial Christmas tree
Due to the combination of materials used to make an artificial tree you are unable to recycle it. If you have room, you can reduce waste by packing it up and saving in a loft, shed or garage for next year! However, if you can’t store it and it is in good condition, you could ask friends and family if they want it, advertise it on an exchange website or donate it to charity.
If it really is time for the artificail tree to go, please take it to either Lynnbottom and Afton Marsh Household Waste Recycling Centres, or dismantle it and place inside your black bin/gull sack along with your general waste.
How to pre-book your Green Garden Waste Collection
When you have purchased your green sack(s) and have filled the green sack(s) with your green garden waste, you will need to contact us three working days before your usual recycling collection day.
- If your next recycling day is on a Monday, book your green garden waste collection by 6pm on Wednesday.
- If you next recycling day is on a Tuesday, book your green waste collection by 6pm on Thursday.
- If your next recycling day is on a Wednesday, book your green waste collection by 12 noon on Saturday.
- If your next recycling day is on a Thursday, book your green waste collection by 6pm on Monday.
- If you next recycling day is on a Friday, book your green waste collection by 6pm on Tuesday.
Please pre-book your green waste collection service using the online form by clicking here.
Once you have booked the collection you will need to leave your green sack out on your recycling collection day.
Don’t forget, you can only use your green garden sacks for grass cuttings, hedge trimmings, leaves and cut flowers. No soil and no rubble please.
You must use pre-paid green sacks for garden waste. No other bag types will be accepted.
Green Garden Sacks cost £1.30 each and can be purchased from the locations listed below.
Waste Collection Services
You can check when you are due to get a recycling collection by simply clicking here, entering your postcode and selecting your address. You can then click 'view the calendar' to see your waste collection calendar online and there is also an option to print it.
The council’s household waste collections are managed by Amey in partnership with Isle of Wight Council. Green garden waste is recycled and turned into compost and you will need to purchase and use a pre-paid green sack process.
The sacks cost £1.30 each and are available from libraries and council help centres as listed at the bottom of the page. The price of the bag covers the cost of the service and collection of your green garden waste.
We collect your green garden waste sack/s on your recycling collection day and you will need to pre-book the collection of your green garden waste.
This will make sure all the green garden waste can be kept separate for composting and ensures it will not get mixed up with normal household waste. This means we will know exactly who needs a collection, so our green waste vehicle can be used more efficiently.
The green sacks you purchase are compostable which helps to provide a more efficient service.
Purchasing green sacks
Prices: Green sacks cost £1.30 each.
Green sacks can be purchased from the following places:
- Cowes Library - 12-14 Beckford Rd, Cowes, Isle of Wight, PO31 7SG, Telephone: 01983 293341
- Freshwater Help Centre (in Freshwater Library) - 41 School Green Road, Freshwater, Isle of Wight, PO40 9AP, Telephone: 01983 752377
- Newport Help Centre, County Hall, High Street, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 1UD, Telephone: 01983 821000
- Newport Lord Louis Library - Orchard Street, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 1LL, Telephone: 01983 823823
- Ryde Library - 101 George Street, Ryde, Isle of Wight, PO33 2JE, Telephone: 01983 562170
- Sandown, Library - High Street, Sandown, Isle of Wight, PO36 8AF, Telephone: 01983 402748
- Shanklin Community Library - Victoria Avenue, Shanklin, Isle of Wight, PO37 6PG , Telephone: 01983 863126
- Ventnor Library - High Street, Isle of Wight, PO38 1LZ, Telephone: 01983 852039
- Bembridge Community Library, Church St, Bembridge, PO35 5NA Tel: 01983 87310